Saturday, August 07, 2010

Why church may be like marriage

So the hubby ad I were discussing last night about the high turnover at our church.
Not necessarily in staff but in some of the people that are in what I would deem
"lay leadership".  My hubby stated that having a high turnover of these "lay leaders"
Is not necessarily a good/healthy thing.  I responded that the the opposite is also
not healthy-having the same people that just stay and stagnate isn't healthy either.

So, how do you find a balance?  Stay at a church as long as it meets your 
needs and then when it does not meet your needs move on?  How do you decide if 
the needs that the church meets are more important than other needs or is this
more fluid than this dichotomous statement?  If you just stay at a church then
you run the risk of stagnating if you are trying to hold on to "the way it was" or 
is this starting traditions?

Or is committing to a church like committing to marriage, you commit to hang in 
through the ups and downs, the frustrations and the money troubles, and work 
hard at growing together.  I believe there is a fine balance between stagnating and
being non committal, I just wonder how to continue to find this balance and when
does it all become too much.

On the other hand is the church suppose to be about me?  Or what I get out of it? or
which of my needs it can meet? Or is the church about serving and loving on others out
of a place that God has created?  When does this serving and loving become draining and
painful?

No comments: